Monday, October 22, 2012

Brotherly Love : Smashed Finger Edition

So yesterday late afternoon/early evening Grady smashed poor Griffin's finger in the back door :(.

I heard the door slam followed by Griffin crying and I thought that he was just angry to be left inside. When I went to scoop him up and sooth his jealous "how come he gets to go outside and I don't" rage I notice that there was.blood.everywhere. I grabbed a towel and began compression and started yelling for Bobby to come and take a look for me.

He confirmed my worst fear that the end of Griffin's left ring finger had been nipped off. Poor baby :(. I wanted to cry right along with him...

The front of Griffin's finger and nail. I'm sure he's going to loose it :/. Ick.

I called my SIL Melanie to come and stay with the older boys while Bobby and I ran Griffin to the urgent care clinic.

Thankfully the doctor that saw him said that there was no need for stitches or glue to hold it together. He just neatly trimmed the torn skin (sorry for the tmi...) and bandaged it. He had also split his finger open under the skin flap but the doctor thought that it would close on it's own...

The bad underside of it. This is from this morning and it already looks so much better than yesterday! (sorry for the blurry pictures, I'm still rocking my blackberry phone camera...)
My little stink has been rebelling against having a band aid on. He hasn't been wanting to leave it on for more than 10 minutes at a time.

::Sigh:: 

Because Angry Birds! make everything better.


Since Griffin is not a full time walker yet, this poses quite a problem for trying to keep it clean. I've been stuck having to wash it out under running water every 10 minutes or so to hopefully keep germs out of it.

Wish us luck with this! This is probably the first of many brother-induced injuries to come!

8 comments:

The Momma said...

Sweet baby! You are right, probably the first of many brother induced injuries. Hope sweet boy is doing okay today. I hate when they are hurt :(

ginmommy said...

POOR BABY! I'm so glad he is okay though. My goodness!

Unknown said...

Poor little guy I know that hurt:/ Yep we have experienced quite a few bother induced injuries. Praying he has a quick recovery with no infection.

Kacey said...

Oh no poor little guy and poor mumma trying to keep it clean. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Tristan said...

OH MY GOODNESS..POOR BABY!!!!!

:( I sure hope he is feeling better, bless his little heart :(

T-A spun her finger in the sit and spin and her thumb nail is growing out..it is gross!

Beth Ann said...

Holden had a very similar injury on the exact same finger recently! And guess who did it? Me!!! :( I closed the fridge door and unbeknownst to me, he had his finger on the bottom metal hinge thing and he screamed and I had to open the door so his finger would be released! I thought for sure part of his finger was going to be dangling off, but his skin was barely broken and didn't bleed. It looked awful though and now a couple weeks later that nail looks all white and weird. It hardly ever bothered him once he was over the initial shock thankfully. I felt awful and cried! Good luck with the keeping it clean and I hope he doesn't lose the nail! :(

Jessica said...

Ouchie Ouchie Ouchie... poor baby Griffin. :( I sure hope it heels quickly without too much more pain. I can only imagine you wanting to cry too. I would have done the same.

Anonymous said...

I had my finger smashed in my school door while waiting for my friend Rhea and my teacher picked me up and removed it and it was lavendar nail

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved