Tuesday, September 13, 2011

2 Weeks and 1 day - Bye Bye Cerclage

Bye Bye cerclage. You kicked butt while you were here and I'm excited to now see you gone. It means that I am now one step closer to my dream of a complete family. Soon it will be 5 of us and I can not wait!

We had a call time of 7 am for the cerclage removal so that meant getting to hospital at 5 am. Somehow, despite the excitement Bobby and I were both able to sleep really good last night. When the alarm went off at 3:45 neither of us really batted an eye. Bobby's Mom got here around 4:30 and we headed off into the cool darkness of the early morning.

You will think that this is kinda funny but both of us were really enjoying ourselves! It almost had the feeling of a "date night". Bobby works out of town and really long hours to boot so the time that we have together always feels special. Throw in a quiet car ride with zero children and it was pure bliss!

We got to the hospital in plenty of time and checked ourselves into Labor and Delivery. I wasn't quite sure what all to expect other than it would take only a minute or so to complete. To my surprise we were taken behind a set of double doors that led to L&D's OR and pre-op/recovery rooms. I had been imagining just a regular L&D room for our mornings stay. After changing into a gown, answering an hours worth of questions and getting an IV started we sat and waited for me to be called back. The anesthesiologist came and talked to me which just ended up confusing both of us. I told her that I shouldn't need anything for the pain as my Dr. had said that she had only ever had 1 patient that needed a spinal for this particular procedure. (Plus I knew that I would spend more time getting the spinal placed than the actual procedure itself...) I really was willing to tough it out. She double checked with my OB and they decided that I really shouldn't need anything.

The removal of the cerclage itself wasn't bad at all. It was very intimidating being in the OR by myself (I had been anticipating Bobby being able to hold my hand and talk to me while having it done). The worst part of the entire process was (***TMI WARNING***) having the speculum placed. She had told me that it shouldn't be too much more painful than having regular pelvic exam. Umm, she was WRONG! I am not afraid to admit that I pulled the warming blanket up to my face and covered my eyes in there. I was totally about to start crying. Thankfully she was right about how long it took (only a minute) and I never really felt her remove the cerclage. Once the speculum was out and gone I felt sooo much better! I have had no bleeding and feel the same as when I left the house this morning! 

I did feel a little bit bad for the baby. I think that I totally stressed him out with my stress. Before the procedure his heart rate was hovering between the 120's and 130's. It was much higher when I got done. I asked about it and they said that he would be just fine. I need to remember from now on to take things (emotionally)much easier. It's not just me that is feeling what I feel anymore. I only had to stay to be observed for a little over an hour. As it became apparent that I was not going to be going into to labor anytime soon they discharged me right away.

Today with my hubby at home with me has literally felt like a mini-vacation! We got to get out and have lunch together and then meet Graham at the bus stop after he got done at school. I can't wait to have a relaxing evening with just me and my boys! My next checkup with her in two days and I can't wait to see if my cervix has made any changes!


The Mama said...

Sounds like it went great, except for the painful part. Hope this sweetie decides to make his appearance SOON!!!! Thinking about you!

Jamie said...


Tara said...

This is so exciting! I can't wait for you to have your complete family again. God Bless you!

The Anglin Family said...

So glad you got that thing out!!!! But I'm sure glad it's done it's job. I totally get the QT thing with hubby;)
Now, hurry up and have this lil guy!!

ccc said...

So glad to see that cerclage out now that its done its super job. I totally understand the "date night" effect of a hospital trip! Even going out to the home improvement store can be a date w/o kids.
Thanks for your comment on my blog today--it helps to get others perspective.

Mary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mary @ VivalaVida said...

I'm so happy to hear that the cerclage did it's job and is gone now. What a relief!! He will be here soon!!!

New Year Mum @ newyearmum2.blogspot.com said...

Fantastic news.. you're really on the home-stretch now :)) Sorry to hear that it was so uncomfortable... but must be a relief to know that it's safely out after doing such a great job. Love to you both xoxo

Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved