Wednesday, June 29, 2011

House of Stink

Ya'll, I have been about to puke for over a day now. Can you guess why?


The offending popcorn bag...



+



Burned up inside of my microwave...


=


The worlds worst smell EVER!

I have been trying to get Graham just a little bit more independent this summer. One of the things we've been working on is microwave popcorn. We've made popcorn together a million times. We've read the directions together and I've showed him which buttons to push on the microwave. (We have an older built-in microwave that came with the house and there is no "popcorn" button.) Yesterday I let him do it on his own. He asked if it was ok and I had said yes. I heard him start the popcorn and then for some crazy reason I made the worst decision EVER. I.got.in.the.shower. Midway through my shower Graham came to the door and said that the microwave was SMOKING. I jumped out and removed the still smouldering popcorn and tossed it outside. I was upset with Graham that we had a popcorn problem in the first place but really its mostly my fault for letting him and not observing better :(. I was very proud however that in the time that it took me to jump out of the shower he had managed to turn on the ceiling fan and opened the back door to let smoke out...

Long story short, our house STINKS. By late afternoon my throat hurt from the smoke that I guess just wouldn't go away?? And now I have no idea how to get the smell out of our house. I would febreeze everything that we have but there are almost no soft-surfaces downstairs for me to spray it on (we have leather couches and no curtains). We have mostly tile or and hardwood floors and just one area rug that might be holding odor. I had thought about going to the store and buying like 20 boxes of baking powder and just leaving them open and out in hopes that they would absorb the smell. Blech! My nose is already crazy sensitive from just being pregnant. I can almost not stomach the burnt popcorn smell I have going on over here!

Does anyone have any ideas on good odor removal. Help!!

6 comments:

Melissa Jo said...

febreeze also has sprays for air or the plug ins may work well too until you can survive without!

Jayme said...

Ack, that is the worst smell! I hope it clears out soon

The Anglin Family said...

Girl, that is the WORST smell ever and it is HARD to get rid of!! Ugh. I hate that smell!! My kids blew up hot dogs in the microwave once. But they didn't stink, lol!

ccc said...

I think that the only way to get it out of the house is to open doors and windows.
Good luck, I know that smell is awful
since we have had it in our house as well, but not as bad as yours is.

Tristan said...

um//my hubby did that...and we ran to walmart and bought a cheap new one..lol..it neeever clears!

The Great Elephant Symposium said...

Oh no! That must not smell good! I don't have any recommendations on getting rid of the smell besides air fresheners :( I hope the smell goes away soon...very soon!!

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved