Wednesday, November 2, 2011

El Destructo (Part 2)

My middle son has made quite a name for himself for being the crazy one of our family. In case you are a new reader (or just under the delusion that Grady is some kind of angel) you can read (or re-read) about some of his crazy shenanigans here and here.

Last Friday I went into Grady's room to get him up from his nap and guess what I found?




I know that its a little hard to tell in these pictures, but he had been jumping so hard and for so long (like since he has had the ability to stand up in his crib) that he finally cracked the wood  at the back right corner and entirely broken one big screw in half! Later that night when Bobby went to take the crib entirely apart to see if he could fix it he showed me how badly it had been damaged. Yikes! It was pretty funny though that Grady still managed to sleep at a totally crazy angle all afternoon.

I'm a little sad, but not totally surprised, that Griffin will not be able to use the same crib that both of his brothers did :(. I really wish that we could somehow fix it, but I know in my heart that I would never be comfortable with my little guy sleeping in something that could potentially be really unsafe.

So for right now our big turkey is sleeping on his crib mattress on the floor. We gave him the option that night of sleeping like a "big boy" or like a "little kid" and sleeping in an extra pack-n-play that we have. He choose to sleep like a "big boy". We must have said a thousand times that he was NOT allowed to get up in the middle of the night. I was really worried that he might try to wander the house while it was dark and hurt himself. I even had Graham leave his door open wider than usual that night to help us listen for him getting up. So far he has not gotten up. I have caught him multiple times trying to get up and play at nap time but never at night. So, so far so good I think!

Since we were pretty unprepared for Grady getting out of his crib we don't have a toddler bed for him yet. I may actually not ever get a toddler bed for him. It's almost time for him to hand over all his nursery furniture to Griffin anyway so we may just go to all "big kid" furniture. Bobby and I decided a long time ago that once our kids were out of cribs we would fork over the extra money and get them good bedroom sets with the intention that we would never have to buy them furniture again. (meaning that they would haul their bedrooms off with them when they leave for college :) Maybe this weekend we will get a chance to head out and start looking for Grady!

Times should be pretty interesting around our house for a while. I never thought that I'd ever be in the position of worrying about a nighttime wandering 3 year old and an up half the night newborn. Aack!! :)

6 comments:

The Mama said...

I can sort of see the damage! Sweet boy!!! He's just keeping you on your toes isn't he? :)

Great idea on the kids furniture. We bought a small bed for Nate since he was so small when he moved into his room, and now are trying to decide what to do for Lou. I like your idea a lot!!

Can't wait to see what you find!

ccc said...

Ha ha--Grady sounds like how most of my boys are!
I agree with moving to the big bed and skipping the toddler bed at this point. He may want to be "big" just like Graham.

Tristan said...

oh my!!! he's a trip!

we are putting up a full size bed in taylor-austyns room soon!

Mary said...

Oh my goodness!!! Hahaha!! He is so cute it's just so funny!! I agree with just moving him into a big kid bed. Good luck with the furniture shopping this weekend!!

Tamika said...

Hi! I found you through Jenna's Journey! :)

My middle child was so big that we took him out of his crib at 13mths because of my fear he would break it...glad to see my fear was not unfounded! its possible! LOL I agree with you - I'd not feel safe either with another babe in there....

I found a really cool picture on Pinterest that they made a desk out of the crib - if you're interested i can find it - then you can keep the crib and the memories that go with it - but not a safety issue.

Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

Good thing he's so cute! :) My 3-year-old has terrible sleeping habits. He likes to stay up late and get up early. Which would be fine if he didn't wake everyone else up. I'm tired. But with a newborn I'm guessing you're getting much less sleep that me. :) Glad I came across your blog.

 
Design by Small Bird Studios | All Rights Reserved